Monday, July 25, 2005

Breaking Rule #1: Hold your Camera Steady

Well, I've broken this rule a lot in the past--one area where I have been creative IMHO :)

Here's some examples where I've broken the rule, and what I did:

(Incidentally, I am experimenting here with Blogger images too. While you can load it from DPC by pointing to the URL, it's a bit easier just to browse to it on your hardrive and let Blogger host it for you for free. The only trick is that you need to go to the Edit HTML tab and move the photo link to the place in the text that you want--it always goes to the top of the blog!)

In this photo, I put the camera on self timer, set it to a 1/2 sec or so exposure, and as the timer signal approached the exposure, I rotated the camera left 1/4 turn, then back and past start 1/4 turn right. Repeat quickly till the actual exposure happens!



Here's a couple of cases where the camera was quickly moved (flicked) in one direction while shooting:





In the following, I tried something different. I held my S1 by its strap, and "wound the strap up by turning the camera", so that when I let go of the camera, it would twirl to relieve the tension of the strap. I made sure the camera was pointing down at my subject, then set the self timer. At the self timer warning, I let go, and let the camera twirl. The idea was to try to get the camera to rotate vigorously around an axis, to keep the center sharp while blurring the rest. Here's the effect:



In this photo, I shot some flowers while moving the camera quickly diagonally:



And here's one with more subtle movement:



I have many more examples but I think this illustrates creative movement. If I think of one with a very different technique I'll add it.

Comments welcome either here or in my DPC portfolio (they are all there either in the main folder or "Abstracts Impressionism".

(Edits: Note I changed my mind about linking images to DPC rather than uploading them; its just easier to upload, and then you don't use DPC bandwidth at all). I see the problem David was the extra image I had linked but forgotten about--now at the end. I was looking at the pirrouetting one!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Falc said...

Hi Neil, great start to the workshop. I particularly like the dandelions, they really do have something about them which is intriguing.

7/26/2005 4:28 AM  
Blogger glad2badad said...

I like the flowers in the vase and the diagonal flowers images. They are both quite different and a great discovery from breaking the rule. ;^)

7/29/2005 8:28 AM  
Blogger dahkota said...

You are REALLY good at this. All fo them are great. I like the flower vase one particularly. I think the black works exceptionally well.

7/29/2005 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home