Saturday, July 30, 2005

Breaking Rules #8 and #9. Shoot on sunny days, at the right time of day, with nice clouds in the sky (and never shoot through the window)

I can't do these in order ;)

Shooting experimentally is actually pretty normal for me. I added this rule to my list because on one of my trips to do underexposure it was raining. But I didn't let that deter me, and in fact, I remember doing this a couple of weeks ago near my house. So I thought this would be a good rule to add, and show how I've broken it.

Also my rule #9, since I shot this through the car glass!



I think this particular experiment was a success. I like the painterly feel of this photo. I left it "muddy" in its colors because that's the mood in the rain, and I think it makes it more impressionistic. It's actually similar to the experiments I've been doing over the past year using a blank Cokin filter, and vasoline. For example, this shot from the freestudy challenge: In the Midst of Impressionism

Heres another I took earlier this month. The subject isn't interesting, but the impressionistic effect is (IMHO). This is unprocessed (straight conversion from RAW--not sure how to process it without "ruining" the effect):



This one doesn't have the impressionistic effect, but I like the rain here:

2 Comments:

Blogger ursula said...

Yeah, I like the rain pictures. You know, that's one of the main things I learned the first time I worked my way through this book: "no excuses", there is no such thing as, "Oh, I can't go make pictures because it's raining (or snowing, or mid-day, or whatever)."

7/31/2005 5:35 PM  
Blogger glad2badad said...

Neil - Kinda cool. I'm not sure - guess there is a place for the rainy pictures, but I'm not getting as pumped about these as some of your other images. In retrospect, there probably is a market for this kind of image as this rule isn't broken that frequently. ???

8/01/2005 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home