Saturday, July 30, 2005

Breaking Rules #8 and #9. Shoot on sunny days, at the right time of day, with nice clouds in the sky (and never shoot through the window)

I can't do these in order ;)

Shooting experimentally is actually pretty normal for me. I added this rule to my list because on one of my trips to do underexposure it was raining. But I didn't let that deter me, and in fact, I remember doing this a couple of weeks ago near my house. So I thought this would be a good rule to add, and show how I've broken it.

Also my rule #9, since I shot this through the car glass!



I think this particular experiment was a success. I like the painterly feel of this photo. I left it "muddy" in its colors because that's the mood in the rain, and I think it makes it more impressionistic. It's actually similar to the experiments I've been doing over the past year using a blank Cokin filter, and vasoline. For example, this shot from the freestudy challenge: In the Midst of Impressionism

Heres another I took earlier this month. The subject isn't interesting, but the impressionistic effect is (IMHO). This is unprocessed (straight conversion from RAW--not sure how to process it without "ruining" the effect):



This one doesn't have the impressionistic effect, but I like the rain here:

5 Comments:

Blogger clp69 said...

I agree. This rain picture turned out really well. Well balanced composition and the poor lighting etc. sets the mood.

7/31/2005 7:28 AM  
Blogger ursula said...

Yeah, I like the rain pictures. You know, that's one of the main things I learned the first time I worked my way through this book: "no excuses", there is no such thing as, "Oh, I can't go make pictures because it's raining (or snowing, or mid-day, or whatever)."

7/31/2005 5:35 PM  
Blogger glad2badad said...

Neil - Kinda cool. I'm not sure - guess there is a place for the rainy pictures, but I'm not getting as pumped about these as some of your other images. In retrospect, there probably is a market for this kind of image as this rule isn't broken that frequently. ???

8/01/2005 9:48 AM  
Blogger JK Fifield said...

i like the rain pictures, particularly the first one. it seems to open up a whole bunch of possibilities, by adjusting shutter speed, direction of the camera in relationship to the sun, etc. it would be nice to experiment more of shooting in the rain because of all the challenges it presents.

8/03/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger AJAger said...

I think that the first one could bear a little saturation boost, possibly enhancing the impresssionistic appeal. The others are great and the success of these pictures only goes to show that one doesn't always have to wait for perfect lighting.

8/06/2005 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home