Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Breaking Rule #4: Use the rule of thirds in composition

I break this rule whenever I see fit--but lately, I've been more conservative.

Of course, it's pretty easy to find a subject where breaking the rule is natural for centering:



(Shot taken this past weekend at the NYS Museum).

But it's harder in some cases to decide when you have sufficient justfication to ignore the rule. I just go by whether or not the scene appears balanced and well composed, e.g., there are other rules of composition in play, like fill the frame, geometric balance, etc.



(This shot is from "Frog and Toad", a play by the Young Actors Guild I went to this past weekend.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

Yes, I had on my 10-22mm (16mm 35mm equivalent) and it was probably shot on the 10 end! Fun lens.

8/10/2005 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home