Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Exercise 2, Part 2. My Backyard

I went to do Exercise 2, Part 2. I took my steps into the backyard, and walked right into the fence. So I just took my 7 paces radius from the fence and used only half the circle.

But worse, when I got to this area, the first thing I noticed was this little frog.



He had all my attention, of course. In the time I had, I proceeded to take all the pics of him! But worse, after some shots with my 50mm lens, I knew I needed to seize the opportunity and get closer! So I grabbed my extension tube, and shot some more, and then started shooting stuff in site with the extension tube in place.

Thus, I failed the exercise. I will need to go back to my yard and redo the exercise!

I did however, in FP style did try to "see" the frog differently, experimenting with different angles and DOFs. And my experience also reinforced something important about working with insects and animals (second time). Take your time, and don't immediately jump in and start taking closeups, talk to them softly (animals anyway), approach slowly and low (but block there escape path if you can). This guy stayed with me for a while and I was able to try lots of things even if they were a bit outside the rules of the experiment.


1 Comments:

Blogger glad2badad said...

I LOVE the last one! How in the world did you keep that frog from moving away? I can never get one of them to sit still long enough.

8/15/2005 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home